American Classics

  In a matter of 9 minutes, I once again became one with American history.

  Ever since our conversation with Paul and Jenny about a month ago, I've been on the hunt for Firecrackers.  Not the boom-boom-boom type, the cold, refreshing type, with 10% of your daily value of Vitamin C.  I left the house wanting to check out the Popsicle selection at the neigborhood Waldbaum's and came across something that seems to be closing in on extinction - the Firecracker, a.k.a. Mega Missile!!  You can go to any ice cream/drink vendor with the green and white umbrella and giant Good Humor selection board in NYC and they all give you the same answer:  "they discontinued", in some undiscernable accent with a smirk on their face.  Well how about you get yourself an updated sign of your ice cream selection because that one from 1983 seems a little outdated.

  I digress.  I went to the Waldbaum's and found the holy grail of Firecrackers.  There were like 8 or 9 boxes of 12 pops.  Granted, they're a bit smaller than the vendor size, but still.  What a score.  I picked up 2 boxes.  There are plenty of other Popsicle options that are fantastic (Orange Cherry Grape ice pops, Scribblers, SpongeBob Pop-Ups, Creamsicles, Fudgesicles) but all I wanted (needed) was that elusive Firecracker. Cha-ching!!

  On my way home from the gold mine, I stopped in Friendly's to get my wife a Conehead sundae.  For those of you who haven't been in the country for the past 25+ years, here's what a Conehead is (pictured to the right).  I got it in a to-go paper cup, which takes away from all that is the Conehead.  I refuse the whipped cream when I get one (it's been 15 years) but I went all out.  Probably the best $2.70 I've spent all week.

  I mean kids all over the country should be begging their parents for one of these American classics.  Mix it up though, get a flavor other than vanilla.  Kind of bland.  Still a great choice, I'm just saying.

  Go nuts and get yourself something that you've been craving.  It's Labor Day.  You earned it!!
My Ping in TotalPing.com