College Football (& Baseball) Saturday

We had our first prospect clinic down at Gaelic Park - it went well.  Got a little cold once that sun went down but for most of the day it was a great day here in the Bronx.

On to football.  I was going to go without a post today, but there was one game (OK, two) that really opened my eyes.  One I am watching as I type, the other I saw on the ESPN ticker.

We'll start with the one currently airing on Versus - #1 Oregon at Cal.  8-7 at the half, Oregon has been held in check (only 155 yards of offense).  If I'd never seen Oregon play, I'd wonder how the hell they are #1 in the country, but they're athletic, they play fast, play smart, and play hard.  Not to mention they're #1 in different uniform combinations.  The one thing that is driving me nuts is this "Oregon Time Between Plays" clock they keep putting up on the bottom right hand corner.  They're blabbing about the offense and how fast they work, but the few times I've seen them put it up, it takes them anywhere from :26 to :35 seconds in between plays.  That, my friends, is called a "play clock".  Oregon has to come out better in the second half, and I'm sure they will.  If not for a 2-point conversion on their punt return TD, they'd be tied.  Staying tuned.

The next one is mind-blowing.  Mind. Blowing.  Let me preface - Indiana is a basketball school.  #6 Wisconsin is a football school (although their hoopsters aren't bad - receiving votes for Top25).  83-20.  Football score.  Let me repeat.  83-20.  I am having a hard time remembering the last time a Division I school scored 80 points.  They scored 10 offensive touchdowns.  They scored one defensive touchdown.  Their kicker was 2-2 on FG's and kicked 11 extra points.  No receiver had more than 3 catches or 79 yards.  Their two running backs (their best running back John Clay was out for the game) ran for 167 yards and 3 TD and 144 and 2 TD.  They did not punt the ball away.  Their QB's were 17-21 combined for 260 yards.  598 yards of total offense to go with 30 first downs.  83-20.  I'm mystified.  They only had the ball for 32:27 (math time - 32 minutes divided by12 offensive drives = approximately 2:40 per drive).

WOW.

Notre Dame wound up beating #14 Utah - shows you what I know.

Hanging with the Nater, Linds is away with the girls.  She'll be back tomorrow.  Wooooooooo!

83 to 20.  Are you kidding me?
My Ping in TotalPing.com