Bricco & Rock of Ages

Courtesy of Nathan, we went to Bricco (56th St. b/w 8th & 9th) and then to see Rock of Ages, starring ex-American Idol reject Constantine Maroulis.  What a great night.  Although everyone wasn't in the aisles dancing the entire time, as previously reported, it was an awesome time.

Bricco:  We were the first two patrons of the night, and were only joined by two others during our meal, an older couple who rarely looked at one another.  I ordered my standard, an Amstel Light, and Lindsay opted for a glass of Chianti, circa 2008.  We started with the boiled asparagus drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette topped with a hunk of melted mozzarella di bufala - when it came out, I noticed three sprigs of asparagus on the plate and thought to myself, "No f'ing way", but when I saw he had two plates, I refrained.  It was actually pretty good, a little heavy on the pepper, but I forgot to tell the pepperer to stop.  I got pappardelle with a veal bolognese sauce, which was pretty damn good, and Lindsay mixed it up with some spinach and mozzarella ravioli.  Dessert was a piece of cheesecake with a raspberry lemon sauce, topped with a candle, signifying my birthday.  Much to my delight, no one sang - there was only a staff of about four (five including the chef).  The hostess was kind, although the only thing she seemed to know how to say was "Bon Appétit".

Rock of Ages:  Never having seen a play before, or show as I will refer to this (sounds more masculine), I was pleasantly surprised that Rock of Ages was next on the agenda.  The Brooks Atkinson Theatre was rocking, as I was kind of hoping for - all 80's hair metal, all the time (or at least for 2+ hours).  Constantine Maroulis was great as Drew, but Lonny (narrator) played by Mitchell Jarvis was almost like watching Jack Black from two rows back.  It was scary how eerily similar their mannerisms are.  The show was great, but there were these little pissants behind us who knew way too much about shows like this one, and were quoting lines all night - they were 13, 10, and 6 maybe - all boys, all who will no doubt get their asses kicked in high school.

Walked uptown for a few blocks to get on the subway, which was abnormally packed for 11:00pm on a Monday night.  Took the train back to the Bronx, eavesdropped on a few bewildering conversations between equally strange people, walked home and walked Nathan.  Now I sit here next to him as he chews on his rawhide, which will hopefully tire his crazy ass out.  OK, making a break for bed, I think he's tired.

Bon Appétit
My Ping in TotalPing.com