Chaz Bono: My Mom Just Needed More Time to Accept Me



In the past, Cher acknowledged she had a hard time accepting her child's decision to undergo a sex change, and now Chaz Bono tells PopEater he believes his famous mom's reluctance may have
been a "generational thing" and that she was not only shocked by his decision but also surprised at how quickly others adapted to it.


"I think she was surprised. I think she didn't expect people to be able to handle it as well as they have," Chaz said. "I really thought that we had come farther than I think my mom did. I think that's probably just a generational thing."


Chaz also talked about his relationship with longtime girlfriend, Jennifer Elia. They've been engaged for a while, but had to put any marriage plans on hold for obvious reasons.


"We've been engaged for about two years now," Chaz said. "So when all this stuff started happening and Jen was in grad school and I had started my transition, we had to table it for a while. So we'll get back into it."






The 42-year-old activist, who is promoting his book, 'Transition,' and documentary 'Becoming Chaz' (on Oprah's OWN), called the very fact that he can now get married "a weird thing for us" because just a few years ago he was not legally male.


"It feels weird for us. So many of our friends are gay and lesbian. We're big supporters of marriage equality and Prop 8 was happening in California, we were really involved," Chaz said. "So that is kind of a weird thing for us, too, that now we can do it. Exactly, it feels a little weird."


And just like all other couples who can marry, Chaz and Jennifer will be able divorce if that's what it come to. Chaz warns that for similar couples, the outcome hasn't always been pretty.


"There have been cases when the divorce happens where it has gotten around child support and stuff like that where there have been some really nasty court cases and people challenging it."


My Ping in TotalPing.com