Waxing Philosophical

As opening day of our season rapidly approaches, I want to take a little while to talk baseball.

I will try to relate it to life.

It's impossible to win every game.  That's fact.  But putting yourself in the best position to win is essential.  Doing the little things along the way often helps the path to the ultimate goal seem a little easier.  Set goals.  And from what I've heard, if you write out your goals, you've got a better chance of achieving them.  Sounds simple enough.

As coaches, we try to teach our guys the fundamentals as well as the minute details that go into creating a winning culture.  Some listen to what we've got to say and some don't.  We didn't write the book on baseball but we've got a little more experience.  Why not give it a try.  Why don't some guys listen?  There's a myriad of reasons.  They think they know it all.  They are stubborn.  They may not believe us.  They like to fail.  They have been brainwashed.  They are content.  They just aren't good enough.

When I was a player, I used to do things over and over and over again until it became comfortable to me.  That's a key - comfort. 

People often try to change because someone else says to do it this way or that way.  It all boils down to what is comfortable.  There are times when what is comfortable doesn't work.  If this is the case, you gotta change little by little until it does work and it is comfortable.  They say practice makes perfect - I say perfect is  impossible.  Practice and repetition sure does help though.

Attitude plays a big part in being successful as well.  Acting tough and being tough are two different animals.  How's the saying go?  When the going gets tough, the tough get going. 

Being tough means not closing yourself off and going into a hole and moping about a bad situation - it means living for this exact moment.  Accept responsibility and be accountable for your actions.  Want the ball, want the spotlight, want to be great. 

Wannabe leaders present a tough facade - they act outwardly tough - never smiling, tightening up in big spots, blaming others.  If you take yourself too seriously, you set yourself up for failure.  Sure, you want to be good and do well in whatever you set out to do, but in baseball, failing 7 times out of 10 is considered good.  That's pretty good odds.

What I'm trying to say is open your ears, listen, and don't be afraid to try something new.  If someone told me I smelled like complete shit every day, I'd look into my daily preparation.  Am I brushing my teeth?  Showering?  Wearing different clothes daily?  Changing my socks?  My underwear?  Putting on deodorant?  If I was skipping one of these, I'd probably try to correct it.  I need to want to smell better.  If someone who is trying to help offers up some advice, don't be too proud to listen.  Be open to suggestions. 

Don't over-think or over-analyze things - try it, try to change it (if it's broke), and embrace it.

There aren't too many people out there who try to give out shitty advice.  But if you happen to know someone who does, they're probably not worth your time.

And the bottom line is this:  YOU CAN'T BE AFRAID TO FAIL.  If you are, you'll forever be among the population of Loser-ville.  (unless you go bungee-jumping and fail, they you're dead)

Challenge yourself to be awesome-er than everyone else.  Be like Trina, she da baddest bitch.
My Ping in TotalPing.com