It's Contagious and I'm Mystified

We had another tight game into the 7th inning tonight against Winthrop. Then the wheels came off - walk, hit by pitch, hit, walk, walk - where the hell does it go? It isn't that hard to throw strikes, it's really not. I am confident I can get out there and throw three outs before I a) walk three guys or b) let up a run.

I try to stay positive, but it's tough. I try to coach my ass off to get these guys mentally and physically ready to compete, but once we put them in, the game changes. Somehow, it changes. I want to take positives from each pitchers appearance, but when there are walks and walks and 3-1 piss-rods into the outfield, I run out of answers. The starters look OK, and for at least a few pitches in each appearance, the relievers even look OK. I don't know where it goes.

I'm not trying to be selfish here, but it all reflects on me. I am tough, this I know. I would love it if my guys were tough. I know this is a forum to express thoughts, and I probably shouldn't express some, but I am at a loss. I feel like sometimes the kids are afraid to go in because they don't want to fail. No shit, no one wants to fail. But that attitude - the "I hope I do well" - that's not the right attitude. "I will succeed and pitch like a beast" is the right attitude. Action thoughts.

I'm sorry I am venting on this post, but if I keep it in, I might have an ulcer by tomorrow morning. I just ordered pizza, showered and will eat a little bit - if I can keep it down. I am literally sick to my stomach over this year so far. Sure, it's early and we're only 2-4, but it's wearing me out.

I think I am going to have a meeting at some point tomorrow or early this week to talk to this pitching staff. I must be a terrible coach or something. It's slop. Pure and simple - it's tough to watch this happen every game. 3-0 we were up. 3-3 it was tied. 10-3 was the final. Where the hell did it go wrong? BB, HBP, IBB, BB, 1B, 2B, BB - throw the ball over the plate.

It's like the old saying goes in basketball - "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - you don't give yourself an opportunity to succeed if you walk everyone. It's simple, don't overanalyze the game, don't over think the game - just go out and do what you've been doing for your entire life - THROW STRIKES!

That's it, I'm done.
My Ping in TotalPing.com