Cutler Criticism Uncalled For

I was one of the people who bashed Bears QB Jay Cutler after he came out of the NFC Championship game Sunday afternoon.  And after reading articles about his sprained MCL and listening to Brian Urlacher speak on his toughness, I want to apologize if I offended any Jay Cutler fans, and apologize to Jay Cutler himself (not that he even knows of my existence).

It does take guts and toughness to be a professional athlete, and especially a QB in the NFL.  His NFL peers, however, created a shit-storm of comments via Twitter ripping his toughness and questioning his integrity.  To be fair, the facts weren't in until the game was over.  But similar to middle- and high-school, name-calling ensued.

Yes, he was seen standing on the sideline.  No, there was no sighting of training staff tending to his bum knee.  So why the hell was he out?  It looked like he was walking gingerly during the final play of his last series.  I never questioned why he wasn't playing - I assumed it was because he was hurt.  Not once did it cross my mind that he was pulling himself because he wasn't playing well.  As a former athlete, that should never happen.  EVER!

This was an injury that many athletes play through, but in the grand scheme of things, if it got worse, it could cost him a year.

Jay Cutler, you are a good man.  Sometimes, I think you're a weenie, but I'll be honest, when I listen to your press conferences, I understand how much you want to win and be successful.  Not as much as Derek Anderson, but pretty close.  (kidding)
My Ping in TotalPing.com