Lacrosse - Really?

I am at the gym, setting up for an exciting women's basketball game and the men's lacrosse team is lifting.  All I hear it swearing (which I am OK with), screaming, grunting, and weights getting slammed on the ground.  They must be getting strong.

As far as I'm concerned, this is solely a sport for rich kids who a) couldn't hack it in baseball or b) think baseball is a low brow sport.  Either way, I am glad I never played lacrosse.

Sure, some of them can run.  Sure, they can catch a little white ball in the basket of their stick.  Sure, they can shoot it at a brainless goalie who wears a cup, shin pads and a helmet.

Or maybe it's just our lacrosse team giving them a bad rep.  "I'm a meat head" is the impression they give off (not like the Jersey Shore).

Yeah, it may go all the way back to the 5th century.  It also used to be played on a field that was miles long with 500 to 1000 people per side.  Again, the word brainless come in.

There are 61 men's college lacrosse teams, and this one in this gym right now, they think they're the best.  Which, I guess, is good for them.  If noise generated from lifting weights was how they ranked teams, we would most certainly be the preseason #1.

Walking around twirling a stick with a ball in it, tightening the laces, making the pocket in the lacing - how cool.  Cutting your sleeves off and walking around - even cooler.

I will say this, it is a very physically demanding sport.  It takes tough kids (just like every other sport).  It takes top-notch conditioning running up and down the field.  They obviously play it for the love of the game, because professional lacrosse hasn't exactly taken off in the US.

I have to get back to setting up for this game.  I big you all a better Saturday than I have in store.
My Ping in TotalPing.com